Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Conversion Tables - When is an ounce not an ounce?

We live in a global village where we can experiment with foods from around the world. We can buy magazines and books from far away and that's wonderful. I love finding new foods and new ways to prepare them. It makes cooking exciting and eating is never dull.

The downside though, is that we often can't figure out how to break the secret code. What code? The one where the temperatures are given in fahrenheit instead of celcius (or vice versa) and weights are given in kilos or grams instead of pound and ounces. An ounce, by the way, is 28.3 grams.

Because I find it personally frustrating to have to go look up equivalents, I decided to provide conversions in each of the recipes in my upcoming cookbook Every Kitchen Tells Its Stories - Recipes to Warm the Heart. I also have a section I call the Cooking Primer where I explain basic terms and help new foodies get kitchen friendly.

I'm a Training & Development Consultant in my other life, so you can see where I'm coming from. I believe in the adage "Give a person a fish, feed him/her for a day. Teach them how to fish and feed them for life".

I love Chef2chef for my conversion needs. Pay particular attention to the right side of the site.

Editing Note: I'll be adding links to great conversion sites here, So please let me know your favorites to include.

First ones are from Elizabeth from Blog from OUR Kitchen -
Gourmet Sleuth
Gourmet Sleuth - gram conversion
Real Food4Real People - conversions and equivalents including can sizes, US, UK, Australian, International...long list here.

A couple more from me -
Botanical metric/US conversions.
Good Cooking - all sorts even yeast conversions

Keep the great links coming everyone and I'll keep adding them to the list.

Please email me any of your questions, and if I don't have the answer, I'll certainly try find it for you.

Related links:

3 comments:

ejm said...

Ah yes, this is my favourite pet peeve. What about fluid ounces? That's even more fun.

I'm very fond of these two pages:

http://gourmetsleuth.com/cookingconversions.asp?Action=find
http://gourmetsleuth.com/gram_calc.htm

-Elizabeth

Ruth said...

Thanks Elizabeth, I plan on adding new links as I get them.

ejm said...

Happy to oblige, Ruth.

Another site that I refer to often is the following:
www.realfood4realpeople.com/convert.html

The Australian section has a chart of common ingredients showing how much a cup (250ml) of each weighs.

-Elizabeth