Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Safe Way to Warm Plates

I received this question today - "Is there a way to safely warm plates, serving platters, etc., just prior to serving dinner so that the food stays warmer? Can I do it with fine china, too?"

The answer is yes, but there are all types of considerations. I'm fortunate that my everyday dishes can go in the oven and in the microwave. So the first thing I would do is check the back of your dishes.

My good china, however, family heirlooms created long before new technologies made it possible to create fine china that's strong enough to stand the heat of an oven, are another story. I have an electric stove, so I don't know if this will work with gas ranges....but I place plates and serving platters on top of my stove while the oven is on, busy cooking away. There is enough heat to gently warm the plates.

Barring that you can always purchase plate warmers. Waterbridge Platewarmers has a site devoted to them. Sur La Table sells them (just type "plate warmer" in the search field) for about $40. Think heating pads that you can stack your plates on.

If there's anyone out there with other ideas, please share them in the comments.

Please email me any of your questions, and if I don't have the answer, I'll certainly try find it for you.
Related links:

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This works for me, as long as I'm not using the oven for anything else: Put plates in cold oven, turn oven on, set timer for 1 minute. After 1 minute, turn oven off. In a few minutes, plates are perfect.

Anonymous said...

fill your sink with hot water. submerge them until your ready to use them, give em a quick dry with a tea towel.

Ruth Daniels said...

Thanks for the great tips, and both with no $$$ price tag attached. Well done!

Anonymous said...

I tried this in a pinch and it worked nicely- put hand or bath towels in the clothes dryer. Get them heated, and wrap your dishes in them before serving food.

Ruth Daniels said...

I love this idea...no $$ on gadgets and no need to dry dishes after heating them. Thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

one can also put a few drops of water on the plates and put them in the microwave for about 15-20 seconds. then drain and they're perfectly warm!

Ruth Daniels said...

Good idea, just make sure they're not antiques and ARE microwavable.