Thursday, May 11, 2006

More Conversions - When is a Cup not a Cup?...

Recently someone from Britain was commenting that he had a hard time using American (and Canadian, I guess) cookbooks and magazines because the measurements were so different. In particular butter, and more particularly how much is a cup and a stick. So I thought I'd help out.

1 cup = 240g
1/2 cup = 120g
1 stick = 1/4 cup = 60g

I, on the other hand, am not quite sure what a knob of butter is. So anyone out there from the UK.....

If there's anyone out there with other conversions to add to the list, please share them in the comments and I'll create a complete listing.

Please email me any of your questions, and if I don't have the answer, I'll certainly try find it for you.
Related links:

1 comment:

ejm said...

I believe that in Canada, we still use imperial measures so our cups hold more than American cups. Cups are for measuring volume rather than weight.

1 Cdn cup = 250 ml
1 US cup = 237ml

(At least that's what my measuring cup says)

My mother always told me that a pound of butter is equivalent to 2 cups. The blocks of butter we buy are 454gm (roughly a pound), so if I'm not mistaken

1 cup butter = 227 gm

And fl.oz can be even more confusing especially when a cookbook casually leaves off the "fl" when describing how much milk to use. Let's say that a US recipe calls for 8 oz. milk. That could be one of either:

8 US fl.oz = 236.6ml
8 oz. = 226.8gm

Is it any wonder that the British man was having a hard time using American cookbooks?!

These sites are quite useful:
http://www.realfood4realpeople.com/convert.html
http://www.curezone.com/conversions.asp

-Elizabeth

P.S. I always thought that a knob of butter was "some" or perhaps a generous knife-ful....