Thursday, June 01, 2006

Picnic Tips

It's really June and it's definitely picnic season. So naturally it's time to think about making that an easy and safe undertaking.

I found this Whole Foods link that will make sure your picnicing experience will be a safe one.

Now on to making it a fun one - especially for the "cook".

  • Some people will be bringing portable grills or cook over an open fire. Just make sure that the meat/chicken/fish is kept well chilled until you plan on doing the cooking;
  • Zip lock baggies with marinade soaked meats/veggies make grilling a breeze and food delicious;
  • Salads with lettuce do best with the dressings stored in separate containers until you're ready to serve. Prepare the rest of the salad ingredients in another ziplock bag (I should have shares in the company!);
  • If you're not going to be grilling there are many options - sandwiches, wraps, salads...just ask yourself this question before you start loading up....will you be hiking to the picnic spot or just parking the car at the side of the road? It really will make a difference in what you can carry easily. I have a beautiful wicker picnic basket that I just HAD to buy. Unfortunately I've only used it a couple of times - it's heavy and while it holds dishes, cups, cutlery, blanket...it doesn't leave much room for food;
  • Don't forget about AFTER you eat all this wonderful food. You can't just leave things sooooo....... try to bring only what you think you will eat (this is a particularly hard one for me - I want to bring a million things!) after all you'll have to carry what you don't finish back with you;
  • Remember to leave the spot the way you found it - pristine so others may enjoy the beauty of it too.

If there's anyone out there with other ideas, please share them in the comments and I will keep adding to the list as well. For food options you can always visit my other site.


If there's anyone out there with other ideas, please share them in the comments.

Please email me any of your questions, and if I don't have the answer, I'll certainly try find it for you.
Related links:

No comments: