Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Softening that Hard Bag of Sugar

My mother taught me the secret to keeping brown sugar soft... just add a crust of bread to the bag. Somehow it's magic, but whatever the scientific explanation is...all I care is that it works.

I've been visiting with my daughter and I was going to make some banana bread and discovered this bag of sugar that felt like cement. So I did some research and here's what I found out over at Waitrose. The bottom line is once sugar has already turned to stone, you can soften it (all types except for icing sugar) in one of two ways:
1. Place the bag of sugar in the microwave for 30-45 seconds (Waitrose suggested putting a slice of bread on top and sprinkling it with water, but I didn't bother and it softened more than enough to use for the recipe). I would continue the process slowly, removing the softened sugar to a separate air tight bag or other container.

2. The other suggestion was to place the sugar in a large bowl and cover it with a damp towel overnight. If the sugar feels a bit damp, put it in the microwave as above.

Please email me any of your questions, and if I don't have the answer, I'll certainly try find it for you.

Related links:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Or you could just quit being lazy and use a knife to scrape it off..Place it in a large food bag and start scraping with a knife, remove the loose sugar as you go.. well duh, that was easy huh? lol

Anonymous said...

Quit being lazy? Strange response. It is always a good thing to share tips that save time and energy. Laziness isn't a part of the equation. Thanks for the helpful tips.

Ruth Daniels said...

I'm with you Anon #2 the more tips the better.

One other tip is to hack off a bit and put it in the microwave for 5-10 seconds to soften but not melt it.