Sunday, March 16, 2008

How to Keep Olive Oil from Solidifying in the Fridge

I recently was asked the following question about Marinated Feta stored in the fridge....

"We recently had a marinated feta in olive oil that did not require it being brought to room temperature. For some reason the oil (olive I thought) did not solidify, I would like to make it at home and give it for gifts but not have the oil soldify...how is this possible?

Any ideas?"

I frequently have the same challenge...how come I can purchase roasted red peppers, or feta, or...well, anything marinated in olive oil and for some of them, the oil solidifies and others don't. I tried doing a "Google" search and didn't really find any answer. So I thought I'd open it up to all of you....

If you have any ideas, share them in the comments or send me an email .

Please email me any of your questions, and if I don't have the answer, I'll certainly try to find it for you.

Related links:

2 comments:

Arlan said...

I really have no idea but it doesn't look like anyone else does either. But it's an interesting question so let's see if we can make some progress.

I am guessing we are either dealing with an additive or with a different kind of oil. I don't happen to have the items on hand to test this, but I would suggest comparing grades of olive oil such as Extra Virgin, Cold Press, and the plain (apparently promiscuous) Olive Oil, along with some other such as Canola.

Also, I would scrutinze the ingredient list on salad dressings and marinades looking for a common ingredient.

I had thought the solidifying point might be indicated by the fat type but this chart doesn't show an easily discernible correlation in what I know of solidifying oils.

Ruth Daniels said...

Thanks for all that research. Naturally it had me do a search too.

Apparently, olives, like apples have a natural wax to keep insects out. When processed, the wax is absorbed into the oil and that's what causes the solidification in the fridge. http://www.oliveoilsource.com/newsletter/olivenews7-12.htm
vegetable oils and sunflower, safflower oils and others don't have the wax so don't solidify in the fridge. That said, just leaving the olive oil on the counter for 20 minutes or so, will "melt" the solids and restore your oil to liquid.