Saturday, December 06, 2008

Where Have All the Smoked Clams Gone

Recently Dana McCauley, a wonderful food writer (You can check out what I wrote about her and her latest book Dana's Top Ten Table) came to Halifax on a Cross-Canada tour (more of that on Once Upon a Feast). But that's not why I'm writing this post. A reader of her post had a question that Dana thought I might be able to answer. So for all of you Maritimers (or anyone else, for that matter)....

Kathleen, of Digby NS asked about Maritime smoked clams and where to find them. Apparently, they are (make that were) delicious and she can't find them anyhwere.

After doing all kinds of Google searches and a very early AM trip to the Halifax Farmers Market to find out the scoop from the folks who would know...I'm sorry to have to tell you that it looks like no one does it any more. I asked the man who really knows everyone in the business...Mike of Mike's Fish Shop, who sells lots of smoked fishes and Phillip Docker of Shadaph Oysters who says if Mike doesn't know, well... Philip also told me that while lots of fish & seafood producers used to smoke their goods (including Shadaph), very few still do it today.

Sorry to disappoint Kathleen, but perhaps some of my readers might know.

3 comments:

Dana McCauley said...

Thanks for your super sleuthing and for your kind words Ruth!

digbycounty said...

Almost most thought I had 'em! Seacan, a new company in Hfx., said because of my email to them, Fisherman's Market now had them. NOT. Too bad. Maybe I'll have a different answer this week. Thanks too for the sleuthing. Seems a strange thing that we don't make that product.
If anyone is interested in that product, I would bet if Fisherman's Market got a few queries, it might make it happen...
Thanks again, Kathleen

Ruth Daniels said...

Hmmmmm. I went to the Saturday Farmers Market where there are 3 different fish/seafood vendors. They said they haven't seen any. But perhaps the Fisherman's Market in Bedford really does. I'll give them a call and if they don't, perhaps it will prompt them to get some.