Sunday, January 18, 2009

Baked On Food on Ceramic Cooktop Stoves

Recently an "In trouble Husband" wrote about a problem that I know many of us can relate to...."We were making some beer and it boiled over on the stovetop. Now its pretty baked on. How can I clean it without scraching the shiny finish". I did the same thing making a sugary syrup.

Here's what I did to recover....

1. Take the pot off the burner & turn off the element.

2. Use cloth towel to remove as much as you can while it's still liquidy.

3. Allow to cool before the next step.

4...Most tedious, but patience is a requirement!...After trying to gently scrape off as much stuck on, burnt on stuff (for lack of a better word) with a paint scraper, I tried several products. These seemed to work best. Cerama Bryte ceramic cooktop cleaner and a fantastic product from Vileda - glass/ceramic scrunge that is a sponge that with an abrasive side that doesn't scratch the glass. It's my new best friend for even simple spills.

5. Repeat step 4 a bazillion times while chanting "Ohmmmm" or some other stress relieving melody, stay calm and it will work.

If only I can find some Cerama Bryte cleaning cloths - to get rid of streaks, and their burnt on grease cleaner, I'll be happy.

If you have any other ideas for my friend and I, please leave a comment.

2 comments:

trew said...

cool but weird i say!!!!!!

Ruth Daniels said...

not sure about the weird part, definitely a time consuming process.