Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Salad Dressing Tips

I recently got a new cookbook - Salad Dressing 101: Dressings for All Occasions. I do make a good vinaigrette, changing up my oils and vinegars to match the rest of the meal, but somehow, I find myself falling into a rut. The intro is so great, I thought I'd share some of Nathan Hyam's tips with you.
"...it's best to remember that (the dressing) is really a seasoning meant to enhance the main ingredients. It should augment their flavors, not overpower them....

1. Transluscent mixtures of oil and vinegar, with added taste elements such as herbs, are best when paired with leafy greens.

2. Creamy dressings with their thicker texture are ideal with heavier ingredients like vegetables, pastas, grains or potatoes and meats.

3. Vinaigrettes (from the French vin aigre "sour wine") are very versatile and can be used to dress most types of salads. "
Key things to remember: flavor & texture of the salad ingredients, plus what ever else you're serving along with the salad. For more about the book and a couple of the recipes I've tried so far...check here.

Spring is here...and so are local baby greens and fresh herbs...have fun with your salad and leave any tip you might have in the comments.

No comments: