Friday, May 28, 2010

Converting Fresh Fenugreek Leaves to Dried

I received a plea for help from a reader and, although I've given the generic response, I'm wondering if any of you have a more definitive answer for Phil.

Phil: ....for advice on dried-vs-fresh fenugreek/methi conversions. I'm hoping you can help me in this regard: a chicken fenugreek recipe I've found calls for "a bunch" of fresh leaves...what might that be in "dried" terms?

Ruth: Like any fresh to dried substitution, it's 1 tablespoon of fresh leaves to 1 teaspoon of dried. I'm not sure what an actual "bunch" of fresh fenugreek looks like, because that depends on the time of year, the shop you're buying them at.... Sometimes bunches large, other times small. So I suggest starting with 1 tablespoon of dried fenugreek leaves, let it simmer in the sauce for a couple of minutes, taste and add more as you need, adding only 1 tsp at a time and letting it simmer before tasting and adding more.

3 comments:

josh said...

this is fantastic... i happened upon your blog looking for this exact discussion! i'm officially adding you to my google reader :)

Ruth Daniels said...

Thanks! And if you have any other topics you'd like me to explore, let me know.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, exactly what I need to know