I recently made a delicious grilled Caesar salad. The recipe, from Grill! actually smokes this salad. I was lazy and didn't have any wood chips so I just grilled the lettuce ... But I did think I'd share how to create your own smoker for those of you who want to do some smoking of your own. I was going to do some bad joke about smoking being illegal here, but....
Anyway, here's what you do to create your own smoker box.
1. Purchase fragrant wood chips. I know you can get them at some specialty food shops and definitely at stores that cater to BBQers. If there aren't any of those around, head to any local building material store that sells wood to carpenters. Cherry, cedar, oak are some chips to consider. They give off a wonderful smoke.
2. Soak the chips for about an hour before heading to the BBQ.
3. Take a large sheet of heavy duty tin foil and place the drained, soaked wood chips off to one side, leaving about 1 inch on 3 sides. Make a pouch by folding the foil over the chips and crimp the edges to seal the pocket.
4. Punch a few holes in the top of the pouch (to let the smoke out!) and add to one side of your grill.
5. This step needs a cover, so if you don't have a BBQ with a cover, you'll have to make one - more foil is required, but I must admit, it's hard to really do this and not let much of the smoke out when you actually put food on the grill.
6. Let the smoke build for about 10 minutes before adding the food, which you need to do quickly so as not to lose the smoke and then cook as required.
If there's anyone out there with other ideas, please share them in the comments.
Please email me any of your questions, and if I don't have the answer, I'll certainly try find it for you.
Related links: kitchen tips Food & Drink